Considering the Cost of Dental Implants
How much does a dental implant cost?
The short answer is “It depends.”
What does the cost of dental implants depend on?
- the location of the implant in the jaw
- whether the bone has been resorbed and requires bone grafting
- any other health conditions that might cause complications
- the cost of the actual implant and crown
- the doctor’s experience and expertise
Placing a dental implant requires a number of steps, generally involving several professionals.
- Bone graft or site preservation
- Placing the Dental Implant – the titanium “tooth root”
- Placing the Crown – the porcelain “tooth”
- Office visits, x-rays, pre- and post-surgical care
Single Implants can range in cost for $1000 – $3000, but circumstances can drive that higher.
Continuing Cost of Bridges and Dentures
While Dental Bridges and Dentures are less expensive at the outset, you should consider that both options have sometimes considerable continuing expenses. Bridges, by their structure, cut down the neighboring abutment teeth – which can lead to weakness and repeated treatments. Dentures cannot preserve the jaw bone the way Dental Implants can, so the jaw shrinks as the bone is resorbed, leading to ill-fitting Dentures and repeated rounds of re-fitting and re-placing. Over a lifetime, Dental Implants can be the cost-effective as well as esthetic choice.
Financing for Dental Implants
First, check with your dental insurance carrier to see what portion, if any, of dental implants they cover.
There are health care credit companies that offer no-interest and low-interest loans for medical procedures including dental implants.
Dental Implants are an investment in your health as well as your appearance. A full set of teeth makes eating a pleasure again, making it easier to eat a balanced, healthy diet. A full set of teeth also preserves the contours of the face, keeping you from looking old before your time.
You’ll want to discuss all your options with your dentist and oral surgeon, but don’t let the initial cost discourage you from getting Dental Implants.